Rest Stops and Road Signs: Winter Skies

Monday, January 5, 2009

Winter Skies









On the way upstate, Cory and I noticed a lot of diffuse light in the night sky, just above the tree line. We weren't far from Binghamton, so we assumed it was light pollution. I didn't try to photograph it, but it was beautiful.

Leaving Binghamton the next morning, I noticed there is a huge and incongruous cemetery behind the Best Western where we stayed. I'd like to go back to take pictures.

During my 6 months in Cincinnati, in 1993, I would often walk by a tiny cemetery in the midst of strip malls and gas stations on Hamilton Parkway. If I ever go back to Cincinnati, this little left-behind plot of land and headstones will be one of the main reasons.

In Hawaii this September, we visited Ulupo Heiau, which is well-hidden behind a YMCA. It was a powerful place, especially at night.

This group of photos was taken between 4 and 6 pm, the beginning leg of our return trip to Brooklyn, back through Prattsburgh and on to Route 17, after we had said goodbye to my family.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Brooklyn, New York, United States
Rest Stops and Road Signs is a place to remember my travels near and far...©2008 Amanda Carter