Rest Stops and Road Signs: Some Details

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Some Details













































































From my sister -

“Hi Amanda,
You may be interested to know that the line "Sweet Vale of Avoca" comes from a poem ("The Meeting of the Waters") by Thomas Moore. I know this because Stephanie & Kerry sang this poem at our wedding. (Thomas Moore is the same author who wrote your wedding song: "Believe Me if All These Endearing Young Charms".) As you already mentioned in your blog, the original poem must have referred to a place in the British Isles. Is it because there are (or used to be) potato farms that Avoca, NY came to be identified with the other town? Were some of the early settlers Irish or English? The identification is a bit surprising to me but I like the identification since Avoca, NY is so near where we got married.

Love,
Ellie

P.S. Here's the full stanza:

Sweet vale of Avoca,
How calm could I rest,
In thy bosom of shade,
With the friends I love best!”

No comments:

Followers

About Me

Brooklyn, New York, United States
Rest Stops and Road Signs is a place to remember my travels near and far...©2008 Amanda Carter